Project #6 Proposal

My Web 2.0 subversion project will be on Urban Dictionary, an alternative online dictionary for slang words and phrases. Anyone is free to add new definitions to the dictionary (although editors may choose to edit or remove them). Urban Dictionary also has a thumbs-up/thumbs-down rating system, which allows readers to evaluate whether they agree or disagree with a particular definition.

My plan to subvert Urban Dictionary is to add definitions of nonsense terms that I invented myself, that nobody has ever read or heard of before. I could also redefine a term that already exists, but give it a completely different and unrelated meaning. Urban Dictionary does have editors that monitor newly added definitions, so to ensure that mine get approved, I’ll need to make my definitions seem like they’re real slang rather than pure gibberish. I’ll document my project by screen-capturing my definitions when (if) they’re added to Urban Dictionary, especially after people have read my definitions and given them a thumbs up or thumbs down.